SR-22’s—some of you may have heard of an SR-22.  The SR stands for Safety Responsibility and the 22 is a form number that was issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles.  It is also referred to as High Risk.   It is actually mandatory auto insurance required by law.  If you receive a no insurance ticket-- that means you have been stopped by a police officer or been involved in an accident and asked for your proof of insurance and you said, “I don’t have any insurance” so the police officer gives you a no insurance ticket—in almost all cases, you will be required to carry an SR-22 auto insurance policy whether you own a vehicle or not.   

An SR-22 policy means that the insurance company is required by law to report any lapses in coverage to the Secretary of State.  In other words, if you don’t pay your bill—the Secretary of State will be notified with an SR-26 (cancellation of the SR-22) and your license will be suspended until you make the payment.  Once you make the payment—it takes up to 72 hours for the Insurance Company to report the payment to the Secretary of State.  Even if you make your payment—your license may still be suspended until the Secretary of State receives the notice of payment—a re-file of the SR-22.    

We cannot file an SR-22 unless you are required to carry one by the Secretary of State.    

If you do not own a vehicle but are required to have an SR-22, you can purchase a non-owner’s policy. People have a misconception of what a non-owner’s policy   is.  You cannot drive any vehicle you want and have that vehicle insured under a non-owner’s policy.   A non-owner’s policy will not cover a vehicle that you own, a vehicle in your household or one that you have access to.  A non-owners policy is designed for the person that rarely drives, but is required by law to carry an SR-22.  Once you purchase a vehicle, you must transfer the non-owners policy to that vehicle.  A non-owner’s policy is liability only.  You must carry the insurance ID card even for a non-owners at all times.    

Some companies may not run a motor vehicle record unless you are required to have an SR-22 however, if you do not disclose any tickets or accidents that are on your MVR (motor vehicle driving record) and you have a claim, the company can cancel your policy due to misrepresentation or charge you the rate you should have paid according to your violations.  If the company cancels your policy due to misrepresentation, the claim will not be paid and will be your responsibility.